Abraham Anghik Ruben
$ 40,000.00 CAD
Salt Spring Island resident Abraham Anghik Ruben holds the Order of Canada and has award-winning pieces in public and private collections around the world.
Measurements: 32" x 12" x 12"
Materials: Brazilian Soapstone
“Wrestling with my Demons” would have to be one of his most personal pieces. Not only does it speak to his inner struggles, it is his strongest statement to date of what the indigenous culture across this country had to endure.
It is a sculpture that was created in 2001 for his one man show at the Winnipeg Art Gallery. It is in the show catalogue. It was also lent to the Museum of Civilization for a group show in 2006.
Quote from the 2001 Show Catalogue:
"This sculpture is a personal interpretation of my life. It is a mirror of my past, a signpost for the present, a reminder of yet unresolved issues and day-to-day struggles. Past struggles include twenty years of alcoholism and my recovery, and years in the residential school system. These demons still make themselves known, but as time goes by, they have become faint echoes and whispers."
Featured in the following publications:
A master Inuit soapstone carving by celebrated Canadian artist Abraham Anghik Ruben. This piece speaks to the horrors of Ruben's experience at a residential school, titled "Wrestling My Demons". Salt Spring Island resident Abraham Anghik Ruben holds the order of Canada and has award-winning pieces in public and private collections around the world.
Expo 86 Banners and backdrop for NWT Pavilion performance stage
Vancouver, Canada 1986
1990 Northern Myth Northern Legend, National competition for Glaxo/Smith/Kline Canadian Headquarters (16’ limestone sculpture)
1993 Manulife national sculpture competition for placement at BC Gas Building, Vancouver, Canada
1992 Holocaust Sculpture Memorial, Holocaust Museum, Israel
2016 Recipient of the Officer of the Order of Canada
• The Smithsonian’s National- Museum of the American Indian Washington, D.C, USA
• The Rockwell Museum Corning, New York, USA
• Art Gallery of Nova Scotia Halifax, Nova Scotia
• Museum Cerny Inuit Collection Bern, Switzerland
• Art Gallery of Ontario AGO Toronto, Ontario
• Canadian Embassy Washington DC, USA
and more... (Click Here)
• 2018 Altered Perception, Elevation Gallery, Canmore, BC
• Flat or round - we ship world wide!
• Once payment is received, you will receive a tracking number and estimated date of delivery.
• Bone and animal material can not be shipped outside of Canada
• Our free photo-shop services help you see your favorite art works in your setting. Send us a photo of the preferred location, and we'll work our photo editing magic.
• Payment Methods: Bank transfers, all major credit cards, e-transfers, cheques
• Interest free payments available upon request.
• International clients will be quoted in US dollars.
• When you click "Put on Hold" this piece is reserved for you with no charge to your credit card.
• We will contact you by phone to confirm final costs and answer any questions. 😁
• Upon completion of the transaction your art will be sent the next business day.
Steffich Fine Art
Open 7 Days a Week (most weeks)
Open 10a-5p (most days)
Established in 1992
3103-115 Fulford Ganges Rd, Salt Spring Island, BC V8K 2T9
email@example.com | Toll Free: 1-877-537-8448
Phone: 250-537-8448 | Text: 1-250-537-7827